Mogadishu base with very regular visits to Gedo region and Baidoa for site supervision and potentially visits per need to other Concern operational areas
WASH and Construction Coordinator
1 year with a possibility of extension
Construction Supervision, quality and accountability control for Building constructions primarily and secondly WASH facilities.
Education Programme Manager and other PMs per need Logistics Manager, Senior Engineer
Supervise key construction infrastructure projects especially a Teacher Training Institute and school rehabilitations. Also responsible for working with the WASH/Construction Coordinator on Design, Drawing, BoQs and preparation of tenders of the various Construction & WASH projects with support from.
Main duties & Responsibilities:
Technical Support and Facilitation
- Supervise, monitor and evaluate the construction components of Teacher Training Institute and ensure adherence to quality, standards, work design and technical specifications. The job holder will also be responsible for any school related rehabilitation and construction under other grants.
- Work in coordination with the authorities from Ministry of Education, CAREe Engineers and Contractors.
- In coordination with the WASH/Construction Coordinator, conduct need and technical assessment of construction activities envisaged in the programme plans and develop Designs and BOQ.
- Support with the implementation of a quality control system to ensure appropriate monitoring of contractor through daily, weekly and/or monthly tracking reports, checklist, spot-checks and milestones to ensure correct construction practices are checked and implemented.
- Identify and review proposed activity work plan including key milestones and indicate timings of proposed visits (by senior staffs and management) to site.
- Ensure that work schedules are adhered to and to report any deviances (positive or negative) to the WASH/Construction Coordinator for any corrective or remedial measures to be implemented to meet schedules.
- Assess and evaluate Contractors activities in terms of technical, equipment and resource capacities on regular basis to ensure a continuous and unhindered construction activity free of delays.
- Work with the WASH/Construction Coordinator for satisfactory completion of agreed works, with all necessary supporting documents and certification.
- Supervise works and provide technical guidance and carry out periodic work measurement with the contractors.
- To document all project information including GIS mapping and filing the data/information as required by Concern Worldwide.
- In collaboration with the WASH/Construction Coordinator produce periodic work-plans and reports in accordance with acceptable standards in consultation with other team members.
- Conduct regular site meetings with Contractor and/or contractor representatives to be updated on issues, problems, schedules, materials, equipment and overall work activity. Document and file minutes of these site meetings for future reference.
- Train beneficiaries on use, repair and maintenance of constructed project facilities.
Work with communities to identify correct programme target groups as per the Construction/WASH programme priorities; paying particular attention to gender representations, representation of minority groups including disable and elderly persons. Having more consultations on the design process and the appropriateness.
Coordination and Representation
To liaise with local authorities and Government Departments to identify and comply with existing regulations.
- Coordinate and collaborate with other partners (Contractor, Government Agencies and Ministry Representations, Community Leads, Other Relevant Organizations) in the project area to ensure non-duplication of efforts.
- Ensure that relevant government ministries or departments are informed of any activity at the site(s) that would require assistance or coordination with the aforementioned government agencies operating in the same sector.
Planning and Reporting
Work with WASH/Construction Coordinator to prepare weekly and monthly activity plans, and progress reports on the construction projects. These work activity plans shall be coordinated/synchronized/harmonized with contractors/partners activity.
Ensure all work done with communities is carried out in a manner that is respectful and sensitive to local culture, community needs and gender equality.
Ensure maintenance of proper and up-to-date stock records at work sites.
Provide prompt updates to line manager with regard to technical challenges encountered during project implementation.
Document good practices and success stories for learning and sharing.
Actively participate in collective exercises that support development of new projects, including but not limited to evaluations and surveys.
- Ensure the highest stands of accountability through ensuring good communication and information sharing within and outside the programme and enabling staff, beneficiary and other stakeholder participation at all stages of the project cycle.
- Be aware of, understand and comply with all of Concern Worldwide’s policies and procedures.
Actively participate in any emergency response if called upon to do so (within the existing programme area or in a new one).
Undertake other related duties as may reasonably be assigned by the Country Director or the line manager.
Qualifications & Experience:Essential**
Degree/Diploma in Civil/Building Construction Engineering (preferred); or
Vocational training in a relevant field from a recognized institution
At least 3 to 5 years hands on experience in Project Management of construction activities, primarily schools and buildings, and secondly borehole development and construction, elevated storage reservoirs, various water supply systems.
Working experience in design of infrastructure particularly school buildings, roads, infrastructure and utilities, water supply;
Ability to conduct detailed structural appraisal, development of tender documentation to include bills of quantities, technical specifications, draft contracts, drawings and plans.
Working knowledge of Auto CAD or other construction software along with GIS mapping is a must.
Proficiency in MS Office (Excel, Word, Power Point)
Ability to work in and with a team and willing to learn.
Demonstrated understanding of Somalia context that govern construction activities; building code, mandatory certifications and other regulations.
Past experience in construction of school and education institutes will be a considerable advantage.
Special Skills, Aptitude or Personality Requirements:
- Strong interpersonal, motivational, communication and coordination skills.
- Ability to work under pressure and to strict deadlines.
- Ability and willingness to spend (potentially extended) periods of time in Gedo and Baidoa fpr construction site supervision.
· Good team player, flexible and capable of working in a culturally diverse environment
- Excellent coaching, facilitation and capacity-building skills.
- Empathy with Concern Worldwide goals and a commitment, accountability, participation and gender equality.
This job description is not exhaustive and may be revised by the line manager from time to time.
How to Apply
How to Apply
Interested candidates, who meet the above requirements should submit their applications (cover letter, updated CV and contacts of 3 professional referees) by email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject title “**Construction Engineer”** by Friday, 31st January 2019.
ONLY shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the written test and interview.
Female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.**