Job title: Communications Manager
Based in Hargeisa, with extensive travel in Somaliland/Somalia
Reports to the Country Representative
Who we are:
We’re Population Services International (PSI), the world’s leading non-profit social marketing organization. PSI works in partnership with ministries of health and other partners to create health solutions that are built to last.
PSI is looking for a Communications Manager for Somalia/Somaliland. The Communications Manager will position PSI health service delivery and social behavior change programs as innovative models for increasing demand for and use of health services and healthy behaviors. This position will report to the Country Representative but will also work directly with other program portfolio leads to support communication needs across all PSI programs.
PSI seeks an entrepreneurial, dynamic candidate with technical expertise in communications in the health or development field. The Communications Manager will be responsible for leading the development of a communications strategy and its execution across all PSI’s programs. S/he will be responsible for the development of messaging, talking points, editorial pieces and internal/external storytelling, video production and website maintenance. S/he will also be responsible for promoting and increasing the visibility of various project brands among different stakeholders including donors, partners and health authorities.
- Develop and execute strategic communication plans (both internal and external) for all PSI programs
- Assess PSI partners’ communications capacities and support development and execution of tailored plans for partners.
- Development of communication plans for PSI programs to increase PSI project visibility with the Ministries of Health, partners and other government partners.
- Travel to the field to help with hands -on capacity strengthening among PSI staff and partners, and collect communications assets to include still photography, video, story collection.
- Work closely with PSI’s Global External Relations and Communications team to execute PSI’s communication strategy.
- Document and develop a collection of success stories from the field and curate library of stories for use in reports, articles, communications activities, and impact reports.
- Track and measure communications activities develop reports for management and for donor.
- Work with other consortium management unit staff to support reporting to the donor
and representation of the project externally at events, conferences and meetings.
- Contribute to the development and roll out of the learning agenda of the project.
- Manage PSI’s social media platforms (including websites, Twitter, Facebook, LinkedIn etc.)
- Perform any other related duties that may be assigned by program portfolio leads in liaison with the supervisor.
What are we looking for?
- Related Bachelor’s Degree, Masters preferred, in communications or a related field;
- Minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible, professional-level experience in communications or public relations with a focus on international development communications
- Excellent interpersonal skills with an ability to deeply connect with a range of individuals who have a broad range of backgrounds and expertise.
- Strong interest in public health, development, or related field.
- Experience developing and executing communications strategies.
- Successful experience in media relations.
- Excellent writing and editing skills and a portfolio of quality written products for a variety of formats (e.g., blogs, articles, op-eds, etc.)
- Ability to travel frequently across Somalia/Somaliland
- Creativity and entrepreneurial outlook.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English and Somali.
- Previous experience in Somalia/Somaliland is an added advantage
- Solid judgment and diplomatic skills.
- Initiative, flexibility, accuracy and ability to work as part of a team
- Good personal organizational skills, including ability to meet deadlines and work under pressure.
Got what it takes?
If you think you are a great fit we would love to hear from you. Please send an email with a brief background on yourself and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org with “Communication Manager” in the subject line not later than Friday, 20th December,2019
Female candidates are encouraged to apply