The Ministry of Justice, Religious Affairs and Rehabilitation of Puntland State (MOJRAR), in close collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Justice and the International Development Law Organization (IDLO), is promoting a reformed and modernized Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) system through the establishment and operationalization of Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) Centers in Puntland under the Joint Justice Program. The Program seeks to contribute to the objective of the National ADR Policy of improving access to justice and protection of the rights of justice seekers through the informal justice system by fostering 1) linkages between formal and informal mechanism; (2) Xeer compliance with the provisional Constitution of Somalia, the Constitution of Puntland state and international human rights standards; (3) gender equity in Xeer; (4) the protection of children’s rights (5) the legitimacy of decision makers (elders) in Xeer; (6) clan equity in Xeer processes and decisions. The specific mandate of the each Centre is to facilitate the practice of ADR and settle claims and disputes at community level in line with the National ADR Policy, facilitating and increasing access to justice for the local population, particularly vulnerable categories.
MOJRAR seeks to hire one ADR Clerk in Galkacyo. Under the supervision of the ADR Coordinator at the Ministry of Justice, the Clerk will act as project focal point for the specific ADR Center he will be assigned to and will support the implementation of several components of the Program ‘Alternative Dispute Resolution Somalia’.
The ADR Clerk will perform the following tasks:
- Overisight and ensure the regular activities of the Center;
- Support the implementation of the capacity building activities and other program activities in line with the program’s work plan.
- Ensure the daily management of the Center and the fulfillment of the ADR Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) in the Center;
- Ensure the assigned ADR Center’s operational implementation, including budgeting, logistics, administration and other activities as required;
- Prepare dockets or calendars of cases to be called;
- Receive, register and file the disputes or complaints submitted to the center, which the Center has a jurisdiction to hear;
- Be the administration and finance officer of the ADR Center;
- Be responsible for preparing, holding and safely keeping all records and documents relating to the administration and financial matters of the Center;
- Be responsible for holding, maintaining and safekeeping of case registers, records, case files and all documents of disputes filed and rendered by Center;
- Prepare expenditure plan of the ADR Center, and execute the same upon approval;
- Prepare monthly and periodical performance reports of the ADR Center; and
- Undertake other duties required to do under the ADR SOP.
- Provide reception service including receiving visitors, responding to enquiries, taking messages, and maintaining the reception area as necessary;
- Meet with ADR Adjudicators, lawyers, police, and mobile courts’ officials in order to coordinate the functions of the ADR Center with the consultation ADR coordinator;
- Answer inquiries from the general public regarding ADR Center’s procedures, appearances, hearing dates;
- Assist in the purchase of routine office stationery and printing supplies and other good and services as requested under the Program;
- Undertake general administrative duties including photocopying, filing, binding documents, archiving, and retrieval as required by the ADR Center’s ordinary administration;
- Keep the asset inventory of the ADR center up-to-date;
- Perform any other tasks as assigned by MOJ and IDLO
- Guide and support the adjudicators in their daily activities as well as monitor the fulfillment of the procedures and standards
- Conduct outreach activities and engage with IDPs, Courts, District Administration, Police station, Community Based Organizations (particularly female organizations) and other organizations at local level to promote public awareness about the Centers.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Fluency in English and Somali
- At least two years of relevant experience as Clerk/Administrative Officer or similar duties
- Basic knowledge of legal subjects
- University degree
- Residency in the area where the center will be opened
- Very good writing and reporting skills in English
- Sound knowledge of the traditional justice system in Somalia
- Sound knowledge of Computer Skills (Word, Excel and Power Point).
- Excellent organizational, social and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives;
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity and commitment.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please submit the following relevant documents:
- CV along with application letter.
- Verified Copies of academic Certificates or transcripts
- Two references
Interested candidates should submit their CV along with their application letter via e-mail Ref: Application for ADR Clerk Galkayo to email@example.com by Febrauary 6, 2020 4:30PM in Somalia time.