Child Protection Officer – (2000001H)
Save the Children is the world’s leading independent organisation for children. We work in 120 countries. We save children’s lives; we fight for their rights; we help them fulfil their potential.
We work together, with our partners, to inspire breakthroughs in the way the world treats children and to achieve immediate and lasting change in their lives.
We have over two million supporters worldwide and raised 1.9 billion dollars last year to reach more children than ever before, through programmes in health, nutrition, education, protection and child rights, also in times of humanitarian crises.
Following a major transition, our international programmes are now delivered through a merged operation with 15,000 staff, managed through seven regional hubs and reporting to a relatively small, central office. We’re changing to become more efficient, more aligned, a better partner, a stronger advocate, a magnet for world-class people and relevant for the 21st century.
The purpose of this position is to ensure the proper and Immediate life-saving implementation of the Child Protection Project for humanitarian and conflict affected People in Puntland who’s due to the displaced aftermath in their inhabitant. SCI is currently responding emergencies in Puntland to provide substantive intervention including Child protection, WASH, FSL and education in Puntland and intends to scale up the implementation of Child Protection projects and the position will fit into an existing sectoral programme and will focus on providing life-saving interventions through Mobile child friendly space interventions to be carried out in rural and urban areas in Puntland.
SCI expect from the post holder to contribute to Save the Children’s effort to save the lives of vulnerable children who are particularly affected by the neglect, exploitation and lack of parental cares due to separation and demise of the parents due to emerging situation and hardship circumstance created by the Drought and Conflict.
The position holder is expected to work closely with child protection as well as the Emergency Response team that work in several other projects.
Contract Duration: 6 months with possible extension subject to good performance
Qualifications and Experience
- A minimum of Diploma in Early Childhood Development, Community Development, social work or psychology. A degree in Social science will be preferable. Health/nutrition diploma will be accepted too
- Minimum of 2-3 years’ experience in working with international NGO’s on protection related work is mandatory for this position. Previous child protection work and background will be treated as added advantage.
- Proven knowledge of the minimum standards of child protection, sphere standards and child friendly space guidance.
- Good knowledge and understanding of rights based programme and related issues including Child Protection in Emergency and Emergency Response Mechanism(ERM).
- Strong leadership and motivating skills
- Skills and experience in project/programme planning, monitoring, review and evaluation.
- Field budgeting and financial monitoring skills
- Strong communication, interpersonal, representation and negotiation skills
- Commitment to SC’s Child Protection Policy
- Fluency in written and spoken English, plus good written and spoken Somali
- Training skills
- Knowledge of the contextual issues will be an added advantage.
- Strong commitment to children and their right to and need for education and protection.
- Strong training capacity for duty-bearers and right-holders
- Knowledge of technical report writing and communication skills.
- Knowledge of Child Friendly education and/or Learner Centred Teaching
- Ability to meet deadlines.
- Knowledge of psycho-social approaches and disaster risk interventions.
- Emergency programming experience.
- Experience of working in the Region
We need to keep children safe, so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse. Employment is subject to our Child protection standards including background checks and adherence to our Child Safeguarding Policy.
Save the Children is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified candidates.
Save the Children International does not charge any kind of fee at whichever stage of the recruitment process and does not act through recruitment agents.