THIS POSITION IS ONLY FOR qualified Somali expatriate
- Position title: Biostatistician Ministry of Health Jubaland
- Duty Station: Kismayo
- Duration of Assignment: 12 months
- Deadline for applications: 25 December 2019
- Ideal candidate: qualified Somali expatriate only
About MIDA FINNSOM Phase II – Health and Education Project in the Federal Government and Federal Member States of Somalia
The Migration for Development in Africa (MIDA) Somalia programme supports the mobilization of resources and expertise of the Somali diaspora to contribute to the stabilization and development of Somalia, while ensuring that skills and knowledge are transferred to the host institutions and retained by local staff once the diaspora experts complete their assignments.
MIDA FINNSOM Phase II – Health and Education Project is funded by the Government of Finland, the project aims to facilitate the transfer of skills, competencies and knowledge of qualified Somali expatriates to public institutions in Somalia, with a focus on two sectors, namely health and education. The beneficiary institution Ministry of Health, Jubaland will host the qualified Somali expatriate, and will be responsible to provide a safe and secure work environment. The Ministry of Health Jubaland & IOM Somalia MIDA staff will monitor the expatriate while on assignment.
About Ministry of Health, Jubaland The Ministry of Health of Jubaland State seeks a qualified Biostatistician to Develop or apply mathematical or statistical theory and methods to collect, organize, interpret, and summarize numerical Health Management Information Systems data to provide usable information.
Duties & Responsibilities
- Draw conclusions or make predictions based on HMIS data summaries or statistical analyses and analyze data to identify trends or relationships among variables.
- Analyze clinical or survey data using statistical approaches such as longitudinal analysis, mixed effect modeling, logistic regression analyses, and model building techniques.
- Analyze health-related data and prepare HMIS data analytical reports and slides for publication or presentation at professional conferences.
- Determine appropriate methods for data analysis and write detailed analysis plans and descriptions of analyses and findings for HMIS data reports.
- Present analyzed HMIS data to others and prepare analytical reports.
- Monitor clinical trials or experiments to ensure adherence to established procedures or to verify the quality of data collected and review clinical or other medical research protocols and recommend appropriate statistical analyses.
- Determine appropriate methods for data analysis and prepare tables and graphs to present HMIS data results.
- Prepare graphics or other visual representations of HMIS information.
- Develop or implement data analysis algorithms and analyze data to identify trends or relationships among variables.
- Develop scientific or mathematical models and prepare statistical data for inclusion in reports to donors.
- Analyze data to identify trends or relationships among variables.
- Teach Junior HMIS Data officers the essential skills for data analysis and train MoH officials in Data analysis and presentation.
- Collect data through surveys or experimentation.
- Design or maintain databases of HMIS data collection, collation and analysis and analyze archival data such as birth, death, and disease records.
- Design surveys to assess health issues and design research studies to obtain scientific information.
MIDA requirementsBesides the specific outputs mentioned in section IV, MIDA is requiring the following steps/actions to be undertaken throughout the assignment. These are standard requirements for all assignments undertaken through this project:
- Transfer of skills: One of the main responsibilities of the Somali diaspora participant, and one which he/she will be measured against, will be to ensure continuous and systematic transfer of knowledge and skills as related to the assignment. It will have to be agreed with the beneficiary institution which civil servants will have to benefit from this knowledge.
- Work plan: A work plan will have to be developed with the Supervisor during the first week of assignment which will provide clear and time bound activities to successfully implement the outputs of the assignment. This work plan will be shared with the MIDA Project Assistant. This work plan can be revised during the mid-term review to reflect new developments or changes in strategy.
- Mid Term Review: there will be a mid-term review of the assignment between the incumbent and the beneficiary institution to discuss progress of the assignment and feedback on performance.
- Final Reports: A progress report will be submitted by the incumbent to the Supervisorand to the MIDA Project Assistant. Thereafter a final report will be provided at the end of assignment.
- Level of Education: Master’s Degree
- Area of Study: Biostatistics and Information Technology or related field.
- Years of work experience in what area(s): 3 years of experience in Electronic Data Management.
- Languages needed: English and Somali
General Skills / Other Requirements:
Excellent communication, reporting and analysis skills.
Monthly StipendThe monthly stipend amount will be determined based on degree and years of relevant experience based on the MIDA FINNSOM scale.
Security and insurance modalities
Health insurance—including evacuation due to medical emergency—will be provided by the project. However, experts will be requested to provide a recent medical certificate stating that they are physically fit and able to work in a hardship area in Africa. Please note that IOM, according to the contract, will not be responsible for the security of the qualified Somali expatriates. The host beneficiary institution will be responsible for the security of the individual.
Before leaving the country of residence or upon arrival in Nairobi or in Somalia, the qualified Somali expatriate will receive a pre-service briefing including security advice and cultural background.
To apply please send your CV (with two professional references including their email and phone number) and a cover letter by email to email@example.com. PDF format is preferred. Kindly write:Biostatistician/MoH, Jubaland in the subject field of the email when sending the application.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.