|Ref: GAVO-MH/06/2021Summary JobDescription|
General Assistance and Volunteer Organization (GAVO)
GAVO and PSR have developed a new project, proposed to take place Somaliland in 2019-2022. Despite the high prevalence of mental health disorders in Somaliland, public mental healthcare service provision in Hargeisa and in the whole region remains sparse, with a limited amount of trained mental health care professionals, low public capacity and lacking community mental health care services. Gender equality and human rights issues in mental health services require a special focus due to the especially limited access to mental health care services by women and girls, the high occurrence of SGBV, and the weak human rights situation of people suffering from mental health disorders. Mental health issues carry a strong stigma in Somaliland, with people suffering from mental health disorders often discriminated against and being marginalized.
GAVO is looking for an experienced auditor who has worked with international NGOs and UN agencies and who has an adequate experience and skills for auditing services to our internal and external partners, so an outgoing personality, strong collaborative spirit and dedication to team work is a prerequisite and a key success factor
- The objective of the audit of GAVO’s financial statements is to enable the auditors to express an independent professional opinion on the financial position of GAVO’S and to ensure that the funds utilized to GAVO’s activities have been used for their intended purposes.
- The books of accounts of GAVO’S provide the basis for preparation of the GAVO’s Financial Statements.
- Proper books of accounts as required by law have been maintained by GAVO’S and also maintain adequate internal controls and supporting documentation for the transactions.
- Responsibilities & Duties
- Prepare annual audit plan based on risk prioritization
- Perform audits in line with the agreed annual plan to determine the adequacy and effectiveness of internal controls, efficient use of resources,local legal requirements and regulations
- Report to management about audit results, and recommend changes in operations and financial activities.
- Prepare detailed reports on audit findings.
- Conduct spot checks including reviewing documentation, interviewing staff, gathering evidence such as receipts, l material assets, surplus, income, and expenditures.
- Inspect account books and accounting systems for efficiency, effectiveness, and use of accepted accounting procedures to record transactions.
- Confer with organization officials about financial and regulatory matters.
- Inspect cash on hand, payable, and canceled checks to confirm records are accurate.
- Examine inventory to verify journal and ledger entries.
- Examine records and interview workers to ensure recording of transactions and compliance with financial policy and regulations.
- Direct activities of personnel engaged in filing, recording, compiling and transmitting financial records.
- Audit payroll and personnel records to determine workers’ compensation coverage and compliance with tax laws.
- Qualifications and instruction
The Auditor must be a Somali citizen with a good character, well qualified and experienced, with high standards of ethics and integrity, and commitment to creating an effective, accountable administration for the GAVO organization
The Auditor is expected to have:
- Certified certification (essential)
- Degree in accounting or related field OR AAT/CAT qualification OR part ACCA/CPA qualified or equivalent (desirable)
- Computer Literate – Comfortable using Microsoft Office (particularly MS Excel and MS Word)
- 1/2 year post qualification experience in auditing/accounting
The Auditor must be able to demonstrate:
- High levels of personal and professional integrity
- Good timekeeping
- Proven analytical and communication skills
- Flexibility – can adapt to changing work priorities with little notice
- Able to follow instructions and work independently as required
- Ability to communicate well both orally and in writing
How to Apply
- Confidential application can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org email@example.com later than on 1st Feb 2021 at 16:00.
- Note:Write the title of the position on the subject of your Email.
- Only shortlisted candidate will be contacted for interview.
IMPORTANT: Please be reminded that the deadline for application of the advertisement is on the 1st of February at 16:00 as mentioned above. Questions and clarifications requested close to the deadline may not be answered due to the lack of time. Consider it when submitting your application.