UNITED NATIONS SUPPORT OFFICE IN SOMALIA (UNSOS) UNITED NATIONS CORE VALUES: INTEGRITY, PROFESSIONALISM, RESPECT FOR DIVERSITY THIS POSITION IS OPEN TO SOMALI NATIONALS ONLY AND DOES NOT HAVE INTERNATIONAL BENEFITS FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS : 03 FEBRUARY 2020 DATE OF ISSUANCE : 05 JANUARY 2020 FUNCTIONAL TITLE : ASSOCIATE HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICER LEVEL : NO-B SECTION : HUMAN RESOURCES LOCATION : MOGADISHU DURATION OF CONTRACT : ONE (1) YEAR FIXED-TERM APPOINTMENT VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER : UNSOS/HR/002/2020/SM
Special Notice This position is funded for an initial period of one year, extension of appointment will be subject to budgetary approval. Appointment against this post is on a local basis. The candidate is responsible for any travel expenses incurred to take-up the appointment. All applicants are strongly encouraged to apply on-line as soon as possible after the job opening has been posted and well before the deadline stated in the job opening.
Interested applicants who are working with UN Contractors must fulfil the obligations of their contracts with the UN Contractors to be eligible to apply for this vacancy.
Organizational Setting and Reporting Relationships:
This position is located in the Human Resources Section of the United Nations Support Office in Somalia (UNSOS), Mogadishu. The incumbent at this level reports to the Chief of Staff Selection Unit.
The incumbent at this level undertakes a wide range of responsibilities in HRM including but not limited to advising and applying the Organization’s HR rules and regulations as well as internal procedures and processes related to human resources planning and management, review of the staffing aspects, performance management and business intelligence.
Duties and responsibilities:
Recruitment and Staff Selection
- Provides support in the management of recruitment process including coordinating with client offices in forecasting and identifying vacancies, preparing job openings, reviewing and screening of candidates.
- Supports the review of job openings in consultation with hiring managers, ensuring that the evaluation criteria and responsibilities are in line with Generic Job Postings and Standard on Requisitions.
- Assists in the preliminary review, prepares and submits recruitment cases to (Field) Central Review Bodies.
- Arranges and conducts interviews for selection of candidates.
- Participates in task forces and working groups identifying issues/problems, formulating policies and guidelines, and providing inputs on new procedures on recruitment and staff selection.
Planning and Budget Administration
- Supports the mission planning process throughout the mission lifecycle by conducting reviews and analysis for determining the staffing requirements and organizational structure.
- Assists with the review of recommendations resulting from staffing reviews and translates them into staffing requirements for purposes of budget preparation.
- Conducts initial review and analysis on the staffing aspects of the mission’s budget based on the HQ guidelines.
- Reviews staffing related costs and expenditures in the ERP systems in line with funds allotment, ensuring that funds for staffing costs are available, and where necessary alerts Human Resources Officers to follow up with Finance and Budget Office to deploy funds to meet any shortfall.
- Assists the supervisor in ensuring that expenditures related to staffing are within the budgeted staffing costs, coordinating with the Finance and Budget Units at both the mission and Headquarter levels to ensure availability of funds.
- Advises hiring managers on loaning of posts between sections and movement of posts and staff between locations based on the SOP on Staffing table and Post Management, ensuring the integrity of the staffing table as approved in the budget without discrepancy in sections and locations.
- Assists in reviewing and processing requests for classification, providing, advising and answering queries on classification procedures.
- Assists the mission in the implementation of the performance appraisal system and monitors its compliance with the proper implementation of the performance management system, providing guidance and substantive support to mission components on standards for the development of service, section, unit and individual work plans.
- Maintains contacts with the Integrated Mission Training Center to organize training/orientation programmes in performance management and supervisory skills as well as work plans.
- Gathers data on full compliance of ePAS and provides input to the establishment of Management Review Committee and Joint Monitoring Committee and Rebuttal Panel and acts as their facilitator and ex-officio member.
- Provides advice to staff and managers in cases of underperformance and facilitates the implementation of a Performance Improvement Plan (PIP) or other remedial measures, when required.
Data Analytics/Business Intelligence
- Provides data analysis and business intelligence to support effective planning and optimize decision making.
- Provides data and supporting analytics on topics including, but not limited to; workforce planning, diversity efforts, employee engagement, etc.
- Develops and trains users on data analytics tools to support HR work across the section.
- Partners with HR assistants to ensure effective and proper use of data within the functional areas. Establish and maintain data definitions to support consistent use of data and analytics across the HR section.
- Partners with the HR BI team and others to extract and synthesize data from HRIS system, and local databases to determine the most effective way to develop new and automated ways to utilize data across multiple technology tools.
- Works closely with HR management and staff to understand business unit and UNSOS staffing goals, priorities and initiatives, to determine what HR data analysis and solutions can support both the business units and the HR section.
- Establishes and maintains a HR dashboard that provides employee data to HR staff and others across the Port to support an understanding of the Port employee population and metrics that are often utilized for various purposes.
- Assists HR staff in effectively utilizing data on the HR Dashboard to support their work, including HR Business Partners utilizing data to support the workforce planning and other employee aspects of their work with business units.
- Partners with HR management and staff in determining needed and appropriate data for the HR Dashboard. Establish guidelines and standards for different aspects of the Dashboard (i.e. HR only, Senior management, externally available, HR work groups, etc.)
- Assists in the development of a set of actionable and targeted change management plans, including coaching and training in order to implement these responsibilities and reports on possible gaps and risks and recommends corrective action.
- Assists with the development of a communication strategy with a dedicated intranet page on HR issues and regular formal and informal meetings.
- Assists in reviewing and processing requests for classification, providing advising and answering queries on classification procedures and processes
- Conducts research on precedents, policy rulings and procedures.
- Maintains human resources information systems, including constant update and generation of information and reports for use by management;
- Performs other duties as required.
- Professionalism: Shows pride in work and in achievements; demonstrates professional competence and mastery of subject matter; is conscientious and efficient in meeting commitments, observing deadlines and achieving results; is motivated by professional rather than personal concerns; shows persistence when faced with difficult problems or challenges; remains calm in stressful situations. Takes responsibility for incorporating gender perspectives and ensuring the equal participation of women and men in all areas of work.
- Planning and Organizing: Develops clear goals that are consistent with agreed strategies; Identifies priority activities and assignments; adjusts priorities as required; Allocates appropriate amount of time and resources for completing work; Foresees risks and allows for contingencies when planning; Monitors and adjusts plans and actions as necessary; Uses time efficiently.
- Teamwork: Works collaboratively with colleagues to achieve organizational goals; Solicits input by genuinely valuing others’ ideas and expertise; is willing to learn from others; Places team agenda before personal agenda; Supports and acts in accordance with final group decision, even when such decisions may not entirely reflect own position; Shares credit for team accomplishments and accepts joint responsibility for team shortcomings.
- Technological Awareness: Keeps abreast of available technology; Understands applicability and limitations of technology to the work of the office; Actively seeks to apply technology to appropriate tasks; Shows willingness to learn new technology.
Education: Advanced university degree (Master’s degree or equivalent) in human resources management, organizational management, business or public administration, social sciences, computer science, statistics or related field. A first-level university degree in combination with an additional two years of experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree. Experience: A minimum of one year of progressively responsible experience in human resources management, administration or related area with proven experience in human resource data analysis as well as managing human resource statistics and databases. Language: English and French are the working languages of the United Nations Secretariat. For the post advertised, fluency in oral and written English is required. Knowledge of another official United Nations language is an advantage.
Assessment Evaluation of qualified candidates for this position may include a substantive assessment which will Method: be followed by a competency-based interview.
How to Apply: Qualified candidates may submit their applications including their United Nations Personal History form (PHP) to the address mentioned below quoting vacancy announcement number and functional title on the subject line on or before the deadline. The PHP is on the https://unsos.unmissions.org/jobs. Applications submitted after the deadline 03 February 2020 will not be accepted. Curriculum Vitae (CV) will not be accepted. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview. FEMALE CANDIDATES ARE PARTICULARLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY
Kindly attach copies of relevant academic cerificates, Passport and or National Identification Card. These are required as part of your application for consideration of eligibilty. Please note CID and NISA Certificates are required at a later stage of the recruitment process.
The United Nations shall place no restrictions on the eligibility of men and women to participate in any capacity and under conditions of equality in its principal and subsidiary organs.
THE UNITED NATIONS DOES NOT CHARGE A FEE AT ANY STAGE OF THE RECRUITMENT PROCESS (APPLICATION, INTERVIEW MEETING, PROCESSING, OR TRAINING).