Job Title: Associate Field Officer – Protection
Salary Grade: P2
Hardship Level: U
Family Location Type: Pending
Procedures and Eligibility
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.
Duties and Qualifications
Associate Field Officer
The Associate Field Officer is normally supervised by the Snr Field Coordinator or Field Officer or Head of Sub-Office/Field Office depending on the structure of the Office. S/he may receive indirect guidance from other sections and units relevant to the country/regional programme(s). UNHCR Manual, programme and protection objectives, Operations Plans, UN and UNHCR financial/budgetary rules and regulations will guide the work of the incumbent.
The incumbent may supervise some support staff. S/he has daily contacts with staff in the various field offices and with the functional units at the Country/Regional Office. S/he also has close liaison with a range of local civilian and military authorities and counterparts in NGOs and UN agencies to discuss matters of common interest.
– UNHCR’s policies, standards and procedures are constantly and coherently applied in the area of responsibility (AoR).
– The needs of persons of concern in the AoR are assessed and analysed in a participating manner and using an Age, Gender and Diversity (AGD) perspective to form a firm basis for planning.
– Protection incidents and gaps in assistance are immediately identified and addressed.
– Identify vulnerable groups or individuals who may need special attention or special arrangements and make recommendations on the needs of different groups of refugees.
– Assess protection and assistance needs of refugees and asylum-seekers in the region and monitor implementation of refugee assistance programmes.
– In co-ordination with implementing partners, handle the reception, registration and provision of assistance to persons of concern to UNHCR.
– Provide inputs for project submissions and periodic narrative and financial reports for the annual programme.
– Develop and maintain relations with local authorities ensuring smooth negotiations in all aspects of UNHCR’s mandate for the benefit of refugees.
– Monitor the security situation in the area and intervene as appropriate with the local authorities.
– Undertake other relevant duties as required.
– Submit recommendation for protection interventions to the designated officer.
– Negotiate with local authority counterparts, partners and populations of concern.
– Approve expenditures within the DOAP.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
– Undergraduate degree (equivalent of a BA/BS) in Law, Political Sciences or related fields plus minimum 3 years of previous work experience relevant to the function. Graduate degree (equivalent of a Master¿s) plus 2 years or Doctorate degree (equivalent of a PhD) plus 1 year of previous relevant work experience may also be accepted.
– Field experience.
– Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
***For National Officer positions, very good knowledge of local language and local institutions is essential.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
– Computer skills.
– Knowledge of refugee law.
– Good knowledge of UNHCR’s programmes.
– UNHCR Protection Learning Programme.
– UNHCR Operations Management Learning Programme.
– Knowledge of additional UN languages.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR Associate Field Officer positions. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
C001L2 – Accountability Level 2
C002L2 – Teamwork & Collaboration Level 2
C003L2 – Communication Level 2
C004L2 – Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 2
C005L2 – Client & Result Orientation Level 2
C006L2 – Organizational Awareness Level 2
M003L2 – Judgement and Decision Making Level 2
X001L2 – Analytical Thinking Level 2
X007L2 – Political Awareness Level 2
X008L2 – Stakeholder Management Level 2
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies in the March 2020Compendium is Thursday 16 April 2020 (midnight Geneva time)