The Ministry of Justice and Judiciary Affairs of Galmudug State, in close collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Justice and the International Development Law Organization (IDLO), is promoting a reformed and modernized Alternative Dispute Resolution (ADR) system through the establishment and operationalization of new ADR Centers in South Galkayo and Abdwak under the Program ‘Alternative Dispute Resolution Somalia’funded by the Government of the Netherlands. The Program seeks to contribute to the objective of the National ADR Policy of improving access to justice and protection of the rights of justice seekers through the informal justice system by fostering 1) linkages between formal and informal mechanism; (2) Xeer compliance with the provisional Constitution of Somalia, Constitution of Federal Member States and international human rights standards; (3) gender equity in Xeer; (4) the protection of children’s rights (5) the legitimacy of decision makers (elders) in Xeer; (6) clan equity in Xeer processes and decisions. The specific mandate of the each Centre is to facilitate the practice of ADR and settle claims and disputes at community level in line with the National ADR Policy, facilitating and increasing access to justice for the local population, particularly vulnerable categories.
The Ministry seeks to establish aADR Unit within its structure to monitor and support the ADR Center compliance. The ultimate goal of the Unit is to increase the accountability of the ADR system and legitimacy of its decisions in line with the Provisional Constitution, Constitution of the State and international human rights standards as well as foster coordination and standardization with the ADR Units established in the other State Ministry of Justice and in the Federal Ministry of Justice.
To this end, the Ministry will hire an ADR Coordinator in charge of the Unit and responsible for coordinating the establishment and operationalization of the Centers.Under the general guidance and supervision of the GalmudugStateMinistry of Justice, in close collaboration with the Federal Ministry of Justice, the incumbent will act as project focal point and closely work with IDLO Program Manager to contribute to the implementation of several components of the Program ‘Alternative Dispute Resolution Somalia’.
The ADR Coordinator will perform the following tasks:
- Coordinate all the preparatory activities meant to open the ADR Centers such us consultations with community stakeholders, identifications of adjudicators through a participatory approach, identification of ADR venue, support the procurement goods and services for the center and activities related to the centers in line with the Program;
- In accordance with the project work plan, oversee and ensure an efficient management of the ADR Centers to achieve projects’ outcomes and indicators in coordination with IDLO;
- Coordinate and oversee the work and daily activities of the ADR clerks;
- Ensure coordination and regular exchange of information with the IDLO Program Manager and the ADR Coordinator at the Federal Ministry of Justice to ensure the adoption of common approaches and standardization among the Centers;
- Ensure and supervise the implementation of the Standard Operating Procedures (SOP) in the ADR Centers;
- Apply the unified system of written records of ADR Centre decisions;
- Implement the referral system for serious crimes in line with the provisions of ADR SOP;
- Support the organization and/or conduct capacity building activities according to the work-plan;
- Coordinate the creation of a network between the ADR Centers and complementary legal, psychological, health and women’s support services at community level;
- Promote the effective involvement of women in the ADR Centers, including influential figures as well as women’s from the community and beneficiaries in line with the program’s work plan;
- Support the engagement and work of community paralegal in the centersin line with the program’s work plan;
- Assist in developing and organizing a relevant and effective communication campaign and legal awareness initiatives;
- Contribute to the project implementation monitoring and impact assessment;
- Contribute to both desk and field based research according to the project research strategy;
- Monitor the data collection process in the centers and ensure that case management are properly reported and filed;
- Prepare accurate documentation of all activities undertaken in day-to-day work and report effectively achievements and drawbacks to both the MInistry and IDLO;
- Ensure accurate preparation and timely submission of all the necessary programmatic and financial supporting documents tothe Ministry and IDLO;
- Prepare and submit monthly and periodical performance reports of the ADR Centerto inform and contribute to IDLO’s reporting to the Donor;
- Any other support as agreed by the Ministry of Justice and IDLO for the benefit of the ADR Program;
- Contribute national ADR meetings, activities and provide semi-annual reports to the Ministry to be shared with the Federal Ministry of Justice and IDLO to obtain semi-annual and annualnational ADR data in Somalia;
- Conduct public awareness activities and meetings to promote ADR center awareness, especially the area available the vulnariblecomminties;
- Ensure coordination and standardization of the ADR procedures with the other ADR Centers in the State.
The incumbent will jointly report to the Ministry of Justice and IDLO.
Ideal Candidate Profile
- Fluency in English and Somali
- University degree, with preference on legal studies, social studies, management studies
- Proven knowledge of traditional dispute resolution mechanisms in Somalia
- At least two years of relevant work experience in the justice sector or traditional dispute resolution
- Very good knowledge and previous experience in working in the areas where the centers will be opened
- Previous experience in program management and procurement is an asset
- Sound knowledge of program administration,
- Very good writing and reporting skills in English
- Sound knowledge of Computer Skills (Word, Excel and Power Point).
- Skills and experience field research, data collection and analysis is an asset
- Excellent organizational, social and communication skills
- Ability to work independently and as a team member
- Self-motivated and dynamic with a willingness and ability to use initiative to assist the organization to achieve its objectives;
- Keen sense of ethics, integrity and commitment.
How to apply
To apply for this position, please submit the following relevant documents:
- CV along with application letter.
- Verified Copies of academic Certificates or transcripts
- Two references
Interested candidates should submit their CValong with their application letter via e-mail writing in the objectApplication ADR Coordinator to (Madaraawi@gmail.com)by February 4, 2020 4:30PM in Somalia time