Position: Accountability Officer
Direct Hierarchy: Senior AME Officer
Background on ACTED
ACTED is a French humanitarian NGO, founded in 1993, which supports vulnerable populations, affected by humanitarian crises worldwide. ACTED provides continued support to vulnerable communities by ensuring the sustainability of post-crisis interventions and engaging long-term challenges facing our target populations, in order to break the poverty cycle, foster development and reduce vulnerability to disasters. Their interventions seek to cover the multiple aspects of humanitarian and development crises through a multidisciplinary approach which is both global and local, and adapted to each context.
ACTED is looking for professionally confident, self-motivated, experienced and committed team player to fill the AccountabilityOfficer Position inKismayo.
Under the direct supervision of the Senior Accountability Monitoring and Evaluation Officer, he/she is responsible for ensuring ACTED continuously engages in meaningful two-way dialogue with the communities it serves. The Accountability Officer will be responsible for ensuring the implementation and management of a complaints mechanism, pro-active engagement with project beneficiaries and ensuring issues, questions and complaints are followed up in a meaningful and genuine manner. S/he will be responsible for ensuring mechanisms are in place in ACTED’s programmes to fulfil key Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning Commitments. This is a very exciting initiative for those interested in and passionate about ensuring communities have direct influence in aid interventions and how they are carried out. This initiative is about giving a voice to communities and ensuring accurate needs and feedback is being listened to and acted upon in ACTED programs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Beneficiary Complaints and Response Mechanism (CRM)
- Establishment and Promotion of the CRM
- Establish, implement and monitor the beneficiary Complaints and Response Mechanism (CRM) for the country mission in line with ACTED standard beneficiary CRM procedures;
- Build capacity and understanding among ACTED staff, partners and contractors on beneficiary accountability and CRM;
- Accompany the AME and/or project teams to the field in order to spread awareness about the CRM to beneficiaries, as well as local authorities and stakeholders in ACTED’s areas of implementation, during field visits;
- Develop CRM IEC materials in a language that can be widely understood (including people with low levels of literacy);
- Regularly assess effectiveness of all information-sharing efforts and incorporate findings into revised approaches;
- Maintain records of CRM awareness raising and promotion activities (including approximate numbers of participants) and submit to Project Managers as required;
- Implementation of the CRM
- Ensure the effective functioning of the beneficiary CRM and that beneficiary complaints/feedback is adequately captured, analyzed, addressed and responded to in a timely manner and utilized by the program and coordination teams;
- Receive complaints through telephone hotline, in writing and in person;
- Follow up on complaints received by other ACTED staff with the same diligence as complaints received through the CRM directly;
- Treat urgent and/or sensitive complaints with the immediate attention they require, and ensure a fast resolution;
- Maintain confidential and detailed records of all complaints in the CRM database and other electronic and hard copy filing systems, as appropriate;
- Respond to complaints objectively, accurately, and in line with ACTED guidelines, using information provided by Project Managers, AME Officers/Monitors, Area Coordinators, Technical Coordinators, project documents, FLAT documents and procedures, etc;
- Follow up on pending complaints with Project, AME, and Coordination staff;
- Analyse patterns and trends in complaints to help ACTED improve its programming;
- Produce a monthly analytic CRM report for ACTED staff, following ACTED template;
- Adapt and improve the CRM based on monitoring of its effectiveness.
- Provide regular and timely updates on progress and challenges to supervisors and other team members;
- Assist project and AME teams with other activities, as requested by immediate supervisor;
- Perform any other related activities as assigned by immediate supervisor.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Social Science, Community Development or related field.
- Prior 3 years’ experience in Accountability and Monitoring or in similar field in an NGO – Certification in the same field is a very strong asset
- Knowledge and experience of participatory rural appraisal methods will also be an asset.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; the ability to successfully and effectively liaise with a variety of people in a multicultural set up.
- Proven commitment to accountable practices.
- Good English communications skills (both oral and written) and report writing skills will be preferred.
- Knowledge of local language is mandatory
- Strong team player of high integrity, pleasant personality, ability to work under least supervision and meet strict deadlines.
- Ability to work independently.
Qualified Nationals with the required skills are invited to submit their applications accompanied by detailed curriculum vitae and cover letter as a single document i.e. with the cover letter being on the first page and the CV starting on the second page, detailing three work related referees and contacts to email@example.com and received on or before 5.00PM on15th October 2019with the subject line“ACCOUNTABILITY OFFICER – KISMAYO”
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
- Please do not attach any other documents while sending your applications, if required they will be requested at a later stage.
Please note that only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ACTED will at no stage of recruitment process request candidate to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programmes from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outlines the expected behavior and the responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants and other stakeholders and has zero tolerance towards misconducts. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves in accordance with the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer.