Minimum age: 25 years old. Nationals of the country of assignment are not eligible, except the assignments in Headquarters duty stations.
Under the direct supervision of the Chief Medical Officer (CMO) or his representative, the UN Volunteer will undertake the following tasks at the duty station:
- Undertakes day-to-day clinical duties, e.g. consultation and treatment of patients at a walk-in clinic and 24/7 response to medical emergencies;
- Provides primary health care services at the Jowhar Level-I clinic and follow up with the treatment of patients evacuated from Jowhar;
- Ensures availability of medical supplies and proper functioning of all medical equipment in the clinic;
- Ensures optimum and rational use of resources while respecting medical ethics; Coordinate training programs for AMISOM medical staff to develop their capabilities (e.g. BLS, ACLS, & Pre-hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS), etc.;
- Assists in the management of procurement of drugs, medical equipment, consumables and medical supplies through the system contracts.
- As a member of the Mission Crisis Management team, participates in the preparation and implementation of Mass Casualty Incidence (MCI) Response, Medevac, and Casevac Standard operating procedures (SOPs)
- Actively support the Casevac Coordination Cell during casualty evacuations
- Deploy periodically to Level-I clinics in the sectors to cover the absence of medical officers during annual leaves.
- Participates actively in organizing medical referrals, and medical evacuation of mission personnel.
- Ensures the provision of health education to civilian mission personnel;
- Participates actively in addressing environmental and occupational health issues;
- Participates in the planning, management, and implementation of adequate infection control measures in the mission health facilities at all levels.
- Provides relevant public health guidance to the facility management team in the mission and contractors providing catering, sanitation, and fumigation services at the UN camps within Somalia.
- Ensures timely submission of weekly and monthly medical reports from Jowhar to the CMO’s office;
- Reports to the CMO or his OIC on all clinical activities at the duty station on weekly and monthly basis.
Master degree or equivalent
University Degree in Medicine and Surgery (MB.BS or MD) or it’s equivalent; Residency/internship in one of the medical specialties is an advantage
A minimum of 3 years of clinical experience is mandatory.
- English(Mandatory), Level – Fluent
Specialized human medicine (with clinical experience)
Valid certification in Advanced Trauma Life support, Advanced cardiac Life support or Prehospital trauma life support is highly desirable; Experience in HIV care or VCCT is desirable
Accountability, Adaptability and Flexibility, Commitment to Continuous Learning, Communication, Integrity, Planning and Organizing, Professionalism, Working in Teams
* Not yet registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first register your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/signup. Important: After creating your account, complete all sections
of your profile and submit it. Then go to ‘My Page’ at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink.
Lastly, select the special call to which you would like to apply.
* Already registered in the UNV Talent Pool?
Please first update your profile at https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/profile. Then go to ‘My Page’ at
https://vmam.unv.org/candidate/mypage and click on the ‘Special Calls’ hyperlink to select the special call to which you would like to apply.
Application deadline: 07 March 2021