|TITLE: Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Coordinator for intergrated health, nutrition, WASH and FSL emergency project|
|TEAM/PROGRAMME: Research Evaluation Analysis Learning and Monitoring (REALM)|||LOCATION: Mogadishu/Baidoa with travel to the project locations as required|
|GRADE: 3||POST TYPE: National|
|CHILD SAFEGUARDING:Level 3: the post holder will have contact with children and/or young people either frequently (e.g. once a week or more) or intensively (e.g. four days in one month or more or overnight) because they work country programs; or are visiting country programs; or because they are responsible for implementing the police checking/vetting process staff.|
|ROLE PURPOSE:To provide technical leadership on Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning to Shiekh Althani project(Provision of Emergency Life-saving interventions (Health, Nutrition, WASH and Livelihoods) to drought and conflict affected communities in Somalia. save the children will implement an integrated project to provide emergency health, nutrition, WASH, cash for food services to drought affected communities across 6 of the 18 regions of Somalia; Somaliland (Sool and Togedheer); Puntland (Mudug and Bari); and South Central Somalia (Bakool and Mogadishu) with a focus on areas that have huge health/nutrition service gaps and particularly areas affected by the current drought with IDP populations.|
The MEAL Coordinator will work with the area MEAL managers, and program team to focus on increasing program’s ability to demonstrate the impact of our work (value for money); to advise program team and coordinate with them on key information needs, data management (based on the logical framework) to ensure that effectiveness of information flows as well as improving on results based programme reporting.
|SCOPE OF ROLE:Reports to: the Area MEAL manager|
Dimensions: Save the Children Somalia integrated multisectoral emergency proejct by Thani Al-Thani Humanitarian Fund and the position holder is expected to work with staff from other partner organisations in delivering MEAL requirements.
Staff directly reporting to this position: NO direct reports but the position holder is expected to work closely with MEAL officers in project field offices.
|KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITYMonitoring and Evaluation|
- Ensure that the program delivers on all internal and external MEAL requirements in a timely manner and with high quality information
- Strengthen the MEAL systems and processes to assure tracking of achievements and progress towards project outcomes and outputs indicators
- Ensures that there is continuous quality of service monitoring through quality benchmarks throughout the lifespan of the project
- Work with Consortium Director and partners in undertaking assessments for outcome and learning/programme monitoring indicators in the project log frame
- Ensure that data collection and management methodologies used at field level are standardised, enabling the specific vulnerabilities of different target groups to be captured and analysed
- Institutionalise a project MEAL framework and IPTT and ensure partners are using it to demonstrate project results
- Responsible for linking up with the consortium partners M&E staff for updating of IPTT
- Work with finance team to coordinate the compilation of Value for Money data
- Support partners MEAL staff and PM to ensure that partners are collecting information on all agreed programme indicators and routinely report on these agreed indicators
- Ensure that monthly quantitative and qualitative data analysis is shared with relevant stakeholders to inform programme design and review including regular reports to the program director on specific programme monitoring, evaluation, accountability and learning activities
- Document project success or significant change stories, lessons and challenges for learning
- Consolidate period program reports
- Ensure that all Save the Children’s internal and external reporting requirements are met with timely, relevant, disaggregated, triangulated and well analysed data
- Support programme teams and partners with project assessments/evaluation planning, ensuring that minimum criteria for quality evaluations and assessments are integrated into design and implementation
- Develop ToRs for evaluations and studies, participate in consultant selection and review consultant’s proposals, inception reports and assignment reports
- Manage external consultants engaged to conduct evaluations, studies
- Lead on all programme MEAL processes (including programme baseline/ endline evaluations, KAP surveys, complaints and feedback mechanism system, development of relevant MEAL frameworks and managing MEAL frameworks for programme) working closely with programme managers
- Ensure that all assessment/evaluation reports meet Save the Children quality criteria, and promote the integration of recommendations and lessons learnt in project planning and future programming
- Render any other technical support to the Consortium Director around designing and development of processes and initiatives to support strategic planning, programme development, evaluation and learning as required.
Accountability & Participation
- Ensure that all program staff fully understand and promote accountability in general and to children in particular, through training and coaching and enhancing adherence to the CH standards
- Contribute to improvements in existing policies and procedures to enhance effective accountability mechanisms
- Manage and follow up on project complaints from CRM database and work with Team to ensure all complaints are completed
- Ensures that a proper complaints mechanism is in place and that all project stakeholders are sensitised on how to use the complaints mechanism
- Ensures that there is no any form of exploitation and discrimination (based on any grounds) of project beneficiaries at all times during the lifespan of the project
- Incorporate in program report issues related to accountability and community participation
- Ensure that participation and accountability activities are well documented and learning is shared within Save the Children and implementing partners
- By facilitating information sharing with key stakeholders, including partners and beneficiaries, ensure that Save the Children promotes transparency throughout all stages of implementation
- Ensure that programme activities are designed to promote feedback and response mechanisms and include systems to effectively manage complaints.
- Ensure quarterly data quality is conducted for the project
- Support the Learning & Research team to communicate program learning (through document sharing, presentations, etc)
- Participate in designing and implementation of studies, assessments and learning in coordination and cooperation with Research Manager/area REALM mnaager and programme staff
- Seek opportunities for information sharing and learning exchanges with local actors/INGOs to promote coordination at local and national level
- Support the programme team to communicate programme learning (through document sharing, presentations, and facilitation of cross-learning/Best practices workshops amongst NGO partners, local partners, and other stakeholders, etc)
- Lead in designing and implementation of programme related studies, assessments and learning in coordination and cooperation with thematic coordinators and programme staff
- Actively seek opportunities for information sharing and learning exchanges with local actors/INGOs to promote coordination at local and national level
- Work closely with the Project Team Lead, Communications and Media Coordinator to ensure that all the data, pictures and stories are available and used for publications and media products are of quality
- Capacity building of partner MEAL Officers
- Oversees the documentation and dissemination of program achievements, success stories and lessons learned; prepares and contributes to periodic annual programs reports.
Comply with all relevant Save the Children policies and procedures with respect to child safeguarding policy, health and safety, equal opportunities and other relevant policies.
|BEHAVIOURS (Values in Practice) |
· Holds self accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling Save the Children values
· Holds the team and partners accountable to deliver on their responsibilities – giving them the freedom to deliver in the best way they see fit, providing the necessary development to improve performance and applying appropriate consequences when results are not achieved.
· Sets ambitious and challenging goals for themselves and their team, takes responsibility for their own personal development and encourages their team to do the same
· Widely shares their personal vision for Save the Children, engages and motivates others
· Future orientated, thinks strategically and on a global scale.
· Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, Members and external partners and supporters
· Values diversity, sees it as a source of competitive strength
· Approachable, good listener, easy to talk to.
· Develops and encourages new and innovative solutions
· Willing to take disciplined risks.
· Honest, encourages openness and transparency; demonstrates highest levels of integrity
- Minimum of degree in an area of social development, economic, statistics or equivalent.
|EXPERIENCE AND SKILLSEssential|
- Minimum three years practical experience in M&E system coordination/implementation in international non-governmental organisation
- Familiarity with MEAL systems of SCI and experience in leading team on implementation of such system
- Demonstrable track-record in data tracking and evaluation, with the ability to support staff and partners on M&E methodology and analyse and disseminate complex information to a range of stakeholder audiences
- Practical knowledge or experience of working in humanitarian response and recovery at a technical senior level position
- Ability to write clear and well-argued assessment and project reports
- A high level of written and spoken English
- Computer literacy, particularly in Word, Excel, Statistical Packages and PowerPoint
- Excellent planning, coordination, and reporting skills, with the ability to organise a substantial workload comprised of complex, diverse tasks and responsibilities
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills in English, with experience working in multicultural, multi location, values driven teams.
- Ability and willingness to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in a matrix management environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
How to Apply:
Please apply in English saving your CV and covering letter as a single document. To apply the position please visit the below link
Closing date 4rd Dec 2019.
|Additional job responsibilitiesThe duties and responsibilities as set out above are not exhaustive and the role holder may be required to carry out additional duties within reasonableness of their level of skills and experience.|